*This project takes approximately 30 minutes to complete - more time is needed if you plan on taking pictures throughout the process :)
Here's what you'll need:
1 large watermelon
Assorted fruit (we used purple & green grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and kiwis)
Ice cream scoop
Melon Baller-preferably one with 2 scoop sizes
1 large sharp knife
1 small paring knife
Container for "discarded" watermelon
1. Estimate where the halfway point is in your watermelon (lengthwise) and where the 1/3 point is (width wise). Make your cuts and remove the wedge of watermelon. Begin scooping out the inside of the watermelon.
2. Scoop out 80-85% of the watermelon, especially in the "back" of the carriage. The more watermelon you scoop out, the more fruit you will have to use to fill it back up.
4. Once the rind has been removed, use a peeler to shave off any green parts and place "head" in the watermelon carriage.
6. Slice into the 2nd cantaloupe and using your smaller scoop size on your melon baller, scoop out one ball for the nose. Secure it to the head using 1 toothpick.
7. Scoop out 2 more balls from the 2nd cantaloupe using the larger scoop size and using toothpicks, secure one ball on each side of the head, as ears. Also pick out 2 similar sized purple grapes for the eyes and secure into the cantaloupe with toothpicks.